Data protection must be a consideration of all business owners, large and small. Loss of data is the #1 preventable business disaster. When you plan your data strategy, consider these 5 tips for how to prevent business data loss:
- Define the problem. Before you do anything, you must clearly define the data you need to protect (customer data, proprietary secrets, etc.) and identify all the threats to that data.
- Train employees. Everyone in your organization needs to understand what data needs to be protected and the policies your organization has in place to protect that data.
- Backup, backup, backup. Backups must be frequent, regular, and secure.
- Update software and apps. Software designers include protection from the most current malware and virus threats in their updates, so never let your programs fall out of date.
- Control access. Control can take many forms, including things such as email security, data encryption, passwords, and antivirus protection.wt